View Thread

• 1.  AOM PDW on 'Decolonizing Management Studies': Better theories by embracing diversity

Posted 07-03-2022 18:29
    Hybrid AOM PDW
    Decolonizing Management and Organization Studies: 
    Why Should We Do It and How Can We Do It?
    (5th of August 2022, 12:30 PM - 3.30 PMSeattle time)

Why should you attend and register for the PDW on 'Decolonizing Management and Organization Studies: Why Should We Do It and How Can We Do It?' at this year's Academy? 

Because there is a disproportional tendency to conduct management research on and with people/organizations from WEIRD countries; countries with a western, educated, industrialized, rich, and democratic background. This bias might distort scientific procedures as established theories risk to be applicable mainly in Western contexts. This seems particularly problematic as management scholars have set the goal to address current and future Grand Challenges by establishing practical knowledge. Thus, we need to find ways for developing knowledge, able to tackle the UN Sustainable Development Goals across the globe and not only in certain parts of the world.

Prominent scholars will reflect and discuss reasons to decolonize management and organization studies and try to set out different paths forward:

Charlene Zietsma: Facing Own Colonizing Tendencies
    Joel Bothello: Binary Opposition in Management Studies
    Ella Henry: Insights from the Mãori Culture
    Adeelah Kodabux and Amar Seeam: Insights from African Philosophies
    Anna Kim, Tima Bansal, and Helen Haugh: Opportunities of Conceptualizing 'Time' 
    Garima Sharma: Opportunities of Conceptualizing 'Place'
    Abhishek Nagaraj: Improving Data Access to Democratize Science
    Michael Gill: Phenomenology to Understand Under-represented Communities
    Sneha Chrispal: Decolonizing the Self

• The first part of the hybrid PDW is open to anyone registered for the conference.
    • The subsequent interactive group discussions (aiming to establish a joint Charta for raising awareness among the community) require registration until the 12th of July 2022 via the following link: PDW_Decolonizing Management Studies

For further information, see the following link: 82nd Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management

For any further enquiries, please contact emamdeen.fohim@kpm.unibe.ch & c.k.kella@tillburguniversity.edu

See you in Seattle or on Zoom! 

------------------------------
    Emamdeen Fohim
    Post Doctorate Fellow
    University of Bern
    Bern
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: AOM PDW on 'Decolonizing Management Studies': Better theories by embracing diversity

Posted 07-08-2022 19:45

I'm excited to see this PDW! Unfortunately I won't be attending AOM this year since travel to discuss this very topic conflicts with the Annual Meeting.

I'm working on a grant-funded project with Indigenous colleagues in Australia, Canada, and New Zealand to explore processes that could decolonize business education. This project has just started and we expect to report our progress and finding over the coming years.

In addition to seeking ways to contribute to achieving the UN SDGs, we should bring in the UN Principles of Responsible Management Education (PRiME) into this discussion. Management education is supposedly the means to transmit theory to the consumer –i.e., student–  and it's our students who will go forth to lead, make decisions, and create policies that impact the SDGs. PRiME could guide us in the knowledge we transfer and values we influence on our students. It's important that we include non-WEIRD ideas and values in this process, especially to students from communities negatively impacted by colonialism and imperialism.

I refer my own work with my colleagues who discuss a non-WEIRD way to address decolonization in our AMLE paper: Indigenous Conversational Approach to History And Business Education.

Joseph Scott Gladstone, Ph.D.

Kainai / Piikani / Nimiipuu

Assistant Professor of Management

Department of Management, Information Systems and Entrepreneurship (MISE)

Carson College of Business 

Washington State University Everett

Office: +1-425-405-1593

Email: joseph.gladstone@wsu.edu

everett.wsu.edu

Founder, Academy of Management Native
    and Indigenous Peoples Caucus

Founding Member, NABSWASAI – The Native American 
    Business Scholars Working Group

Member, The PhD Project
    phdproject.org

WSU Land Acknowledgement